[Python-Dev] Instructions on using git mirror

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net
Fri Feb 27 22:51:19 CET 2009

On 2009.02.27 09:48:17 -0600, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 08:36:08AM -0600, Brad Miller wrote:
> > when I get to the step git svn fetch  I get the following error:
> > zsh-% git svn fetch
> > Permission denied (publickey).
> > Network connection closed unexpectedly: Connection closed unexpectedly at
> > /opt/local/bin/git-svn line 1385
> >

> > Is there a prerequisite that I get some kind of ssh key pair setup with the
> > svn repository?  I thought that was only for committers.
>
> Sorry, the instructions don't work for read-only access.  I've
> updated them.  You need to use:
>
>     git svn init http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk
>
> for read-only access to SVN.

I don't see any point to using Neil's complicated dual-remote git +
git-svn setup if you don't have commit access.  For that matter, as long
as Neil's git mirrors work well, I don't see any point to using git-svn
at all if you don't have commit access.

The whole idea of Neil's scheme is that you can use (fast) git to pull
changes from the git mirrors, and (slow but compatible) git-svn to push
changes to svn.  Neat and clever, but complex and possibly brittle.  If
you don't have commit access then you can't push changes to svn anyway,
so you don't need the git-svn half of the setup, so you should just
git-clone Neil's repo and be happy with the much simpler setup.

David Ripton    dripton at ripton.net