[Python-Dev] OS X Installer for 3.0.1 and supported versions

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Feb 28 16:44:19 CET 2009

On 27 Feb, 2009, at 1:57, Ned Deily wrote:

> In article <rowen-8731E0.13531325022009 at news.gmane.org>,
> "Russell E. Owen" <rowen at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> I want to follow up on this a bit. In the past if the Mac Python
>> installer was built on a machine that did NOT have a locally
>> installed
>> Tcl/Tk then it would fail to work with a locally installed Tcl/Tk:
>> Python would segfault when trying to use Tkinter.
>>
>> The solution was to build the Mac python installer on a machine
>> with a
>> locally installed Tcl/Tk. The resulting installer package would
>> work on
>> all systems -- with or without locally installed Tcl/Tk.
>>
>> So...has this problem been worked around, or is the Mac installer
>> still
>> built on a machine that has a locally installed Tcl/Tk?
>
> Ronald will have to answer that for sure since he built the installer
> for 3.0.1.
>
> However, it seems to be true that the most recent python.org OS X
> installers will always favor a /System/Library/Frameworks/{Tcl/Tk}:

That's correct, I don't have a locally installed Tcl/Tk on my laptop
at the moment and couldn't arrange for one in time for the 3.0.1
release.

BTW. The fact that this should result in crashes when a user does have
a locally installed Tcl/Tk is new to me. The reason earlier builds of
the OSX installer were build with a locally installed Tcl/Tk is that
several Tkinter users indicated that the system version is
significantly less useful than a local install.

>> Most people who makes serious use of Tkinter presumably have a
>> locally
>> installed Tcl/Tk because the version that Apple provides is ancient
>> and
>> is missing many important bug fixes and performance enhancements.
>>
>> Also, a somewhat related issue: Tcl/Tk 8.4 is no longer maintained.
>> All
>> development work is going on in Tcl/Tk 8.5. Presumably Apple will
>> transition one of these days, and at that point we may need a
>> separate
>> Mac Python installer for the older operating systems vs. the newer.
>
> Yes, something will need to be done for that if Snow Leopard does have
> newer versions.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up!

Do Python 2.6 and 3.0 support building with Tcl/Tk 8.5? I vaguely
recall messages about issues on python-dev but don't know if those
issues were real and/or solved.

Ronald