[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jan 3 19:38:49 CET 2009

On Jan 3, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:

>> A little offtopic: it seems to me it is a flaw of svn, that it
>> encourages the model of two classes of developers, those with a
>> commit
>> access (first class) and those without it (second class).
>
> Yes, that's the problem. Is it not possible to have finer permission
> (instead
> of boolean permission: commit or not commit)? Eg. give commit access
> but only
> for a file or a directory? It looks like Tarek Ziade is now allowed to
> commit, but only on distutils. I like such permission because nobody
> knows
> the whole Python project, it's too huge for a single brain ;-)

Well, except for Guido and Tim maybe :)

Python does have finer grain permissions, but it's strictly by
convention.  We /could/ have technical means to control those
permissions, but it's never been worth the effort before.

>> your main point is that using bugtracker for committing patches
>> is very painful (I agree)
>
> No, my point is that some patches stay too long in the tracker. GIT,
> Mercurial
> or anything else are a little bit better than the tracker (the
> patches can be
> synchronized with upstream), but the goal is to be part of the
> upstream code
> base.
>
> A distributed VCS is useful to test huge changes. Performance
> improvment on
> integers (patches to optimize the multiplication, use base 2^30
> instead of
> 2^15, etc.) would benefit from such tools, because cooperative work is
> easier.

A DVCS has lots and lots of benefits.  One that I like a lot is that
it will be much easier for people to maintain such bigger branches
while still tracking changes to the trunk.  And a DVCS like Bazaar
supports bundles which are essentially super-patches that contain all
the meta data that a real branch would have.  So a bzr bundle would be
a fine thing to attach to a tracker issue, and it would be much more
alive than a plain old patch.

- -Barry