[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 21:15:50 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Yes, that's the problem. Is it not possible to have finer permission (instead
>> of boolean permission: commit or not commit)? Eg. give commit access but only
>> for a file or a directory? It looks like Tarek Ziade is now allowed to
>> commit, but only on distutils. I like such permission because nobody knows
>> the whole Python project, it's too huge for a single brain ;-)
>
> I like them, too - that's why I'm generally not opposed to handing out
> such privileges fairly generously. In our experience, you don't need to
> enforce such a restriction technically - the social enforcement (you
> lose access if you are changing things you were not supposed to change)
> is sufficient.

This is a great model, as long as the concerned people focus in
specific topics/areas.

I think it is harder to apply for people that does fuzz testing on the
code base : the core
is impacted most of the time.

There's another concern with that model, and I am wondering about it
for the next series
of patches I am working on in distutils.

Since I will probably add some documentation, and since this
documentation will probably
benefit from some reviews, what would be the best process ?

1/ commit the changeset and ask for a post-review by Georg (or others)
2/ hold the changeset in a diff for a pre-review ?

->
1/ is better for the flow, but the quality of the doc might suffer
from it if Georg (or others) doesn't have time to review it
2/ slows things down, make the feature/change unavailable until Georg
(or others) had the time to review it

Regards
Tarek

--