[Python-Dev] How to configure with icc on Mac?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun Jan 4 11:28:59 CET 2009

I downloaded an evaluation copy of the Intel compiler for Mac and tried (so
far unsuccessfully) to configure with it.  I have tried:

    CC=icc ./configure --prefix=$HOME/tmp/icc-python

That failed computing the size of size_t because it tries to incorrectly link
with -lgcc_s.

Then I tried forcing it to not use gcc:

    CC=icc ./configure --without-gcc --prefix=$HOME/tmp/icc-python

That failed because of a bug in configure.in:

        case $withval in
        no)     CC=cc
                without_gcc=yes;;
        yes)    CC=gcc
                without_gcc=no;;
        *)      CC=$withval
                without_gcc=$withval;;

It ignores the CC value on the command line.  I fixed that like so:

        case $withval in
        no)     CC=${CC:-cc}
                without_gcc=yes;;
        yes)    CC=gcc
                without_gcc=no;;
        *)      CC=$withval
                without_gcc=$withval;;

and reran autoconf.  Now I'm back to the -lgcc_s problem.  "gcc_s" is not
mentioned in configure.  It's accessed implicitly.  Poking around in the icc
man page didn't yield any obvious clues.  (I did try using the -gcc-name and
-gxx-name flags.  They didn't help.)  Is there some way to configure Python
for use with icc on a Mac?

Thanks,

Skip