[Python-Dev] python.org OS

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 5 02:51:32 CET 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Aahz writes:
>
>  > all.  Because I was lazy, last weekend I finally did a two-stage upgrade
>  > from 7.10 to 8.04 and then 8.10, with zero noticeable problems.
>
> The scary one is two independent reports of fstab corruption in the
> 8.04 to 8.10 upgrade.  It is claimed to be unfixable by booting from
> CD, mounting the partition, and editing fstab: the editor saves but
> the fstab returns to the original corrupt state upon reboot.
>
> Several reports of inability to use formerly working Japanese input
> methods.  Several reports of formerly working xorg.conf suddenly
> reverting to VESA 1024x768x8 (or worse).

You can add my name to those reporting inexplicable reversion of video
settings. I'm getting tired of it seeing a 640 x 480 screen.

> I don't use Ubuntu so this is all hearsay, but I do trust the
> ex-NetBSD dev to be reporting accurately.  He's only having problems
> with his custom X11 keymap getting trashed, and something else
> relatively minor with Xorg.
>
> And for that ML this is huge; I don't recall so many screams on a
> commercial vendor upgrade since Red Hat went from HJ Liu libc to glibc
> 2.

Ubuntu is a victim of its own success. They now have to deal with the
same diversity of hardware environments as Windows. I hope that
Canonical will find a way to stabilize things.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119