[Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 on linux under wine

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 15:05:54 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Simon Cross
>> <hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If this eventually leads to being able to compile Python software for
>>> Windows under Wine (using for example, py2exe) it would make my life a
>>> lot easier.
>>
>> You can already do that: just install windows python under wine.
>
>  i tried that a few months ago - the builder requires the MS
> installer, which segfaulted on my installation of wine (i installed it
> using winetricks) which left me flummoxed because other people report
> successful use of MSI.

Hm, I could definitely install python - I have python in wine ATM.

wine python -c 'import sys; print sys.version' -> 2.5.2 (r252:60911,
Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

IIRC, I could build numpy on it, which is far from a trivial package
from a build POV :) I think it crashes on wine, though - which I why I
did not pursued it so far. But I believe python itself at least is
usable in wine, depending on what you are trying to do.

David