[Python-Dev] Fixing incorrect indentations in C files (Decoder functions accept str in py3k)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jan 8 19:41:49 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 01:52, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
>> From: "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com>
>>>
>>> The question to put up against this is: How often do you get
>>> irritated by lines not being correctly indented ?
>>
>> Basically never.
>
> And of course I am the polar opposite: frequently enough that I want
> to see this fixed.

I'm in the middle -- I don't mind so much if some parts of a file are
indented using a different style than other parts. But I am adamant
that local misalignment is horrible. Since mixing tabs and spaces
within one function is bound to lead to local misalignments (either
for the folks who set their tabs at 4 or for the folks who set them at
8, as God intended), I want at least within each function the
indentation to be all spaces or all tabs. (And yes, the convention of
implementing 4-position indents using tabs followed by 4 spaces for
odd indents is evil, as it looks horrible for folks whose tabs are set
to 4.)

Long term (sorry Kristján :-) I prefer 4 spaces per indent level, but
not enough to reindent everything. svn blame may have a way to ignore
whitespace changes, but it's still a pain to deal with.