[Python-Dev] Getting importlib into the standard library for 3.1

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 23:40:35 CET 2009

2009/1/8 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>:
>> Well, it's not part of the interpreter yet. That can be viewed as a
>> separate step.
>
> True, but what you're doing here can be viewed as the continuation of
> the original implementation plan for PEP 302 - it was always intended
> that every module would eventually get a __loader__ attribute, and
> that's one of the things an import system based on your importlib would
> provide.

FWIW, this is certainly the ultimate direction *I* intended PEP 302 to
take. At the time the key deliverable (which was provided by Just) was
the zip importer - but we intended the mechanism to be applicable for
everything, and ultimately to be *used* for eveything. Sadly, neither
Just nor I ever took that extra step - and I'm extremely happy that
Brett has now done so.

Paul.