[Python-Dev] Copyright notices in modules

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 21 00:15:27 CET 2009

On 2009-01-20 16:54, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>  > On 2009-01-20 11:02, Michael Foord wrote:
>
>  > > Mere collections of facts are not copyrightable as they are not
>  > > creative (the basis of copyright)
>
> That's incorrect in the U.S.; what is copyrightable is an *original
> work of expression fixed in some medium*.  "Original" is closely
> related to "creative", but it's not the same.  The emphasis is on
> novelty, not on the intellectual power involved.  So, for example, you
> can copyright a set of paint splashes on paper, as long as they're
> *new* paint splashes.
>
> The real issue here, however, is "expression".  What's important is
> whether there are different ways to say it.  So you can indeed
> copyright the phone book or a dictionary, which *does* protect such
> things as unusual use of typefaces or color to aid understanding.
> What you can't do is prevent someone from publishing another phone
> book or dictionary based on the same facts, and since "put it in
> alphabetical order" hasn't been an original form of expression since
> Aristotle or so, they can alphabetize their phone book or dictionary,
> and it is going to look a lot like yours.

The above argument is what makes copyright so complicated. Computer
software has been given the same status as a piece of literary work,
so all conventions for such works apply.

However, this doesn't necessarily mean that all computer software
is copyrightable per-se. The key problem is defining the threshold of
originality needed for a work to become copyrightable at all and
that's where different jurisdictions use different definitions or
guidelines based on case law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_of_originality

E.g. in Germany it is common not to grant copyright on logos that
are used as trademarks. OTOH, use of a logo in the trademark
sense automatically makes it a trademark (even without registration).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 20 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/