[Python-Dev] Copyright notices in modules

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jan 21 01:45:36 CET 2009

2009/1/20 Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com>:
> I'm at a loss of why the notice needs to be there at all.

There's a difference between contributing a whole file and
contributing a patch. Patches do not require copyright notices. Whole
files do. This is not affected by later edits to the file.

> AFAICT, we've
> had tons of contributions from googlers and only one has put a Google copyright notice in the source.

I count 28 .py files with a Google copyright and 127 with other
copyrights (not counting the 47 PSF copyrights :-). Why are you
picking on Google?