[Python-Dev] Copyright notices in modules

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 21 08:01:40 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> 2009/1/20 Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com>:
>> I'm at a loss of why the notice needs to be there at all.
>
> There's a difference between contributing a whole file and
> contributing a patch. Patches do not require copyright notices. Whole
> files do. This is not affected by later edits to the file.

In my comment, I postulated the situation where the patch consisted of
merging in another, independently copyrighted, 'whole file'.  Perhaps
this has mostly been a non-existent situation and therefor moot.

One real situation I was thinking of, unconnected to Google as far as I
am aware, is the case of two third-party IP6 modules and the suggestion
that they be merged into one stdlib module.  If that were accomplished
by committing one and merging the other in a patch, it would be unfair
(and untrue) to have just one copyright notice.  Of course, in this
case, I hope the two authors work everything out between themselves
first before any submission.

I completely understand about strongly preferring programming to lawyer
consultation ;-).

tjr