[Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 (msys+mingw+wine) - giving up using msvcr80 assemblies for now

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 23:16:25 CET 2009

On 23/01/2009 7:01 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> That doesn't really matter, I guess. An extension module build by your
>> port will either fail to load into the regular Python (if
>> libpython2.5.dll is not found), or load and then crash (because it uses
>> a different copy of the Python runtime). Likewise vice versa.
>

>   excellent, excellent that's _really_ good - and here's why:
>
>   if it is _guaranteed_ to crash, regardless of what i do (because the
> copy of the python runtime is different), then it _doesn't_ matter
> what version of msvcrt i link the mingw-built python runtime with,
> does it?

I'm very confused about this: It seems you started this work precisely
so you can be compatible between MSVC built Python's and mingw builds -
ie, this thread starts with you saying:

 > this is a fairly important issue for python development
 > interoperability

  - but now you seem to be saying it is actually a *feature* if they
don't work together?

 >   and if _that's_ the case, i can stop fricking about with msvcr80 :)

If all you are doing is trying to get a version of Python working under
Wine that isn't compatible with MSVC built binaries, I can't work out
why you are fricking around with msvcr80 either!

Cheers,

Mark