[Python-Dev] Should ftplib use UTF-8 instead of latin-1 encoding?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jan 23 09:31:23 CET 2009

Giampaolo Rodola' wrote:
> Hi,
> while attempting to port pyftpdlib [1] to Python 3 I have noticed that
> ftplib differs from the previous 2.x version in that it uses latin-1
> to encode everything it's sent over the FTP command channel, but by
> reading RFC-2640 [2] it seems that UTF-8 should be preferred instead.
> I'm far from being an expert of encodings, plus the RFC is quite hard
> to understand, so sorry in advance if I have misunderstood the whole
> thing.

I read it that a conforming client MUST issue a FEAT command, to
determine whether the server supports UTF8. One would have to go
back to the original FTP RFC, but it seams that, in the absence
of server UTF8 support, all path names must be 7-bit clean (which
means that ASCII should be the default encoding).

In any case, Brett changed the encoding to latin1 in r58378, maybe
he can comment.

Regards,
Martin