[Python-Dev] PEP 374 (DVCS) now in reST

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jan 23 19:24:26 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 00:39, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> And I would like to thank my co-authors for their time and effort thus
>> far in filling in the PEP on behalf of their favorite DVCS. Everyone
>> has put in a lot of time already with I am sure more time in the
>> future.
>
> So what will happen next? ISTM that the PEP is not complete, since it
> doesn't specify a specific DVCS to migrate to (i.e. it wouldn't be
> possible to implement the PEP as it stands).

Right, it isn't done. But I know from experience people care A LOT
about their favorite DVCS, so I wanted to get the PEP up now so people
can start sending in feedback to the proper authors instead of having
it all flood in after I have done my exploratory work on all of them
and be accused of having based my decision on faulty information.

> Somebody will have to make a decision.

That falls on my shoulders.

> Ultimately, Guido will have to
> approve the PEP, but it might be that he refuses to make a choice of
> specific DVCS.

Guido is staying out of this one.

> Traditionally, it is the PEP author who makes all
> choices (considering suggestions from the community, of course). So
> what DVCS do the PEP authors recommend?

Umm::

    import random
    print(random.choice('svn', 'bzr', 'hg', 'git'))

-Brett