[Python-Dev] PEP 374 (DVCS) now in reST

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 01:44:23 CET 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:
>>> Sure, I can add a note somewhere that says if a clear winner doesn't
>>> come about the PEP can be revisited to a later date.
>>>
>> I think the request is slightly different: consider that a potential
>> outcome should be "svn for the next five years, then reconsider" - not
>> because none of the DVCS is a clear winner, but because there is too
>> much resistance to DVCSes in general, at the moment.
>
> I already put a note in that no DVCS might be chosen once the PEP is
> finished. Whether it is because no DVCS is a clear improvement over
> svn or people just don't like a DVCS seems like a minor thing to worry
> about to spell out in the PEP.

I suspect the reactions will be more nuanced than that anyway - e.g. my
current position is that while I like the idea of a DVCS in principle
and agree there are definite gains to be had in switching to one, I
don't think the contenders have had enough time to shake out their
competing feature sets and relative performance. We don't seem to lose a
lot by sticking with SVN at least until after 2.7/3.1 are out the door
and then revisiting the DVCS question (this is particularly so given
that the current plan is go for a fairly short turnaround on those two
releases).

As the zen says, now is better than never, but never is often better
than *right* now :)

Cheers,
Nick.