[Python-Dev] microsoft dlls apparently don't support data. implications: PyAPI functions required to access data across modules.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jan 25 17:56:05 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

>> Info: resolving __Py_NoneStruct by linking to __imp___Py_NoneStruct
>> (auto-import)
>
>  by no small coincidence, every single module with which we've had
> difficulties in the mingw port - _sre, thread, operator, locale,
> winreg, signal and have been forced to put them into python2N.dll -
> all of them _happen_ to _directly_ reference the _PyNone_Struct data
> variable.
>
>  surpriiise.
>
> that means that the Py_None macro must call the "getter" function.

 btw - if anyone has any objections, think about this:

 how is anyone - third party or otherwise - meant to return Py_None
from c code in a dynamic module (or any other type) - and expect their
code to work on windows??

 i mean... has anyone _written_ a third party module that returns
Py_None on a c-code module and had it compiled on windows?

it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is one of the severe
issues (unresolved and unexplained) that people encounter on win32.

l.