[Python-Dev] Python 3.0.1

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Tue Jan 27 21:22:19 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> With the extensive changes in the works, Python 3.0.1 is shaping-up to be a
> complete rerelease of 3.0 with API changes and major usability fixes.  It
> will fully supplant the original 3.0 release which was hobbled by poor IO
> performance.
>
> I propose to make the new release more attractive by backporting several
> module improvements already in 3.1, including two new itertools and one
> collections class.  These are already fully documented, tested, and
> checked-in to 3.1 and it would be ashamed to let them sit idle for a year or
> so, when the module updates are already ready-to-ship.

At the moment, there are 4 release blockers for 3.0.1. I'd like to see
3.0.1 released soon (within the next month.) It would fix the hugest
mistakes in the initial release most of which have been done committed
since December. I'm sure it would be attractive enough with the nasty
bugs fixed in it! Let's not completely open the flood gates.

Releasing 3.1 in March or April also sounds good. I will be at least
at the first day of sprints.

--
Regards,
Benjamin