[Python-Dev] Merging to the 3.0 maintenance branch

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 23:12:14 CET 2009

Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:37 PM, brett. cannon
> <python-checkins at python.org> wrote:
>> Author: brett.cannon
>> Date: Thu Jan 29 05:37:06 2009
>> New Revision: 69093
>>
>> Log:
>> Backport r69092 by hand since svnmerge keeps saying there is a conflict on '.'.
>
> Just do "svn resolved ."

There are potential problems with doing it that way [1]. The safer
option is to do:

svn revert .
svnmerge merge -M -F <py3k-rev>

Perhaps we should add a "maintmerge" script (along with "maintmerge.bat"
batch file) to the root development directory that automates this:

#/bin/sh
svnmerge merge -r $1
svn revert .
svnmerge -M -F $1

(Note that my shell scripting is a little rusty and I haven't actually
executed that example...)

Then the advice will just be to use svnmerge directly most of the time,
and maintmerge when merging a revision that was itself created with
svnmerge.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] How to clobber svnmerge's revision tracking 101:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-December/084644.html