[Python-Dev] Partial function application 'from the right'

Daniel Stutzbach daniel at stutzbachenterprises.com
Fri Jan 30 00:21:11 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > By this analogy, partial(f, ..., *args) is right_partial with '...'
> > standing for any number of missing arguments.  I you want to specify
> > exactly one missing argument, you would want to write partial(f, :,
> > *args), which is not a valid syntax even in Py3.
>
> Yes, of course, but... the meaning which numpy attributes to Ellipsis does
> not
> have to be the same in other libraries. Otherwise this meaning would have
> been
> embedded in the interpreter itself, while it hasn't.

The meaning which numpy attributes to Ellipsis is also the meaning that
mathematical notation has attached to Ellipsis for a very long time.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis#In_mathematical_notation

--
Daniel Stutzbach, Ph.D.
President, Stutzbach Enterprises, LLC <http://stutzbachenterprises.com>