[Python-Dev] Universal newlines, and the gzip module.

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Jan 30 14:04:27 CET 2009

    Christopher> 1) It would be nice if the gzip module (and the zip lib
    Christopher>    module) supported Universal newlines -- you could read a
    Christopher>    compressed text file with "wrong" newlines, and have
    Christopher>    them handled properly. However, that may be hard to do,
    Christopher>    so at least:

    Christopher> 2) Passing a 'U' flag in to gzip.open shouldn't break it.

I agree with Brett that 'U' is meaningless on the compressed file itself.
You want it applied to the contents of the compressed file though, is that
right?  That makes sense to me.  It probably belongs in a separate argument
though.

Skip