[Python-Dev] Python 3.0.1

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 31 00:07:28 CET 2009

Paul Moore wrote:

> Serious question: does anybody know how to get better communication
> from the user base?

One of the nice things about Python is that the downloads are truly free
  -- no required 'registration'.  On the other hand, there is no option
to give feedback either.

If PSF/devs wanted to add something to the site, and someone else
volunteered to do the implementation, I would volunteer to help with
both design and analysis.

That said, I think a main determinant of general 3.0 use will be
availability of 3rd-party libraries, including Windows binaries.  So
perhaps we should aim survey efforts at their authors.

I have the impression that the C-API porting guide needs improvement for
such effort.

On the other hand, perhaps they wonder whether ports will be used.  In
that case, we need more reports like the post of Nick Efford:
"
 > We'd love to switch to 3.0 as soon as possible (i.e., Oct 2009),
 > as it is a significantly cleaner language for our purposes.
 > [university CS courses]
 > However, we make extensive use of third-party libraries and
 > frameworks such as Pygame, wxPython, etc, to increase the
 > motivation levels of students.  The 3.0-readiness of these
 > libraries and frameworks is inevitably going to be a factor in
 > the decision we make this summer.
"

Terry Jan Reedy