[Python-Dev] PEP 376

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 1 02:13:19 CEST 2009

At 01:34 AM 7/1/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:47 AM, Steven D'Aprano<steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> > I don't see how this proposal will help in the second case. If you
> > install distribution Spam, containing file spam.py, and then install
> > distribution Ham, which requires spam.py, what is to prevent you from
> > removing Spam and breaking Ham?
> >
> > If you don't propose a solution for the dependency problem, you should
> > say so.
>
>This problem is solved as described later in the PEP, with the API
>that allows you to get the
>list of the distributions that use a given file. (thanks to the RECORD files)
>
>If Spam and Ham use smap.py, and if you uninstall Spam, this file will
>not be removed
>because the API will tell you its used in both distributions.

That's not the scenario he's talking about.  He's talking about the
case where Ham has an 'install_requires' of Spam.  That is, a runtime
dependency, not a shared file.

>Good question, I have never created such distribution.
>Aren't they read-only files ?

setuptools' bdist_egg command has an option to exclude source from an
.egg, but it doesn't do anything special with permissions.  I don't
think any other current install tools support source-free installation.