[Python-Dev] PEP 376

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 10:35:35 CEST 2009

2009/7/1 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
>> That (at least as I read it) is a function, not a command.
>> If it is a command, give an example of its use from the command line
>> for us poor "don't want to research" people.  If the following works:
>>
>>    $ python setup.py uninstall some_package
>>
>> Then explicitly say so for us poor schlubs.
>>

> Right, I'll add that. Although it will be a reference implementation only.

-1. Where does the setup.py file come from? If I have docutils
installed, and want to remove it, must I download the source again so
that I can get the setup.py, so I can run the uninstall? This is daft
- particularly given that the point of PEP 376 is to ensure that all
of the required information is available from the installed package!

As I suggested before:

    python -m distutils.uninstall packagename

Calling it a "reference implementation" should not imply that it's not
built to be usable and complete. If it's there,m people should be able
to use it.

Paul.