[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: progress report (PEP 385)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jul 3 20:22:57 CEST 2009

Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:

> It needs to be decided where the hg repositories will live. I'd like
> to propose to keep the hgwebdir instance at hg.python.org. This is an
> accepted standard for many organizations, and an easy parallel to
> svn.python.org. The 2.7 (trunk) repo might live at
> http://hg.python.org/main/, for example, with py3k at
> http://hg.python.org/py3k/.

I would very much like the 'k' dropped from the py3 name. It was a funny
joke when py3 was vaporware, now it is excess baggage which only puzzles
non-insiders and newcomers.

I think the two repos should be either symmetrically named

hg.python.org/py2
hg.python.org/py3

If one must be designated 'main', it should be py3.

Continuing to call py2 'main' will continue to discourage use of py3.

Terry Jan Reedy