[Python-Dev] PEP 376

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Sat Jul 4 01:11:03 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
>> Another general principle: even in the draft PEP, say "is", not "will
>> be".
>
> Ok I'll fix that. That's a French stuff : in french, "will be" isn't
> speculative at all.

I don't think "will be" is necessarily speculative in English either. I
think the issue is that after the PEP is implemented, the document lives
on. And when one reads, "X will be done." If "X" is not done in the
current implementation, it is unclear whether that is an error or a
promise that at some point in the future the implementation will be
changed to do "X". In other words, the PEP will live on long after you
have completed the implementation and it's at that point that
occurrences of "will be" in the PEP become speculative.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am incorrect about the desired tone
and use of the document..

-Scott

--
Scott Dial