[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: progress report (PEP 385)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jul 4 01:47:39 CEST 2009

> Doesn't Mercurial support an Subversion bridge?  Would it be possible to
> provide a /read-only/ copy of the hg branches for 2.4 (maybe), 2.5, 2.6,
> and 3.1?  If so, then the release managers would simply have to cut
> their releases from the svn copy instead of the hg master.  /All/ other
> work would be done from the hg master.  This shouldn't be too much of a
> burden since it's done so rarely and would end with the EOL of each of
> those branches.
>
> It would mean maintaining the bridge until all currently released
> versions are EOL.

That sounds very complicated (but Dirkjan should correct me if I'm
wrong).

I have already mentally prepared to port welease to hg, to create
the missing 2.4 and 2.5 releases.

> If that's not possible or feasible, then given the documented
> sys.subversion semantics, I think we should just freeze the tuple at
> e.g. ('CPython', 'branches/release26-maint', None).

That would work for me (I had to re-read the documentation to see
that None is a valid, documented value for version, and allowed
if "the tree was exported").

Interesting to notice that sys.subversion didn't even last the
life time of one feature release :-)

Regards,
Martin