[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: progress report (PEP 385)

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 06:03:30 CEST 2009

On 4/07/2009 12:30 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> I think there needs to be a solid answer in place for these use cases
> before the actual migration to Mercurial takes place. A hand-waving "use
> win32text" isn't enough - it needs to be "use win32text with these exact
> settings" (with server side hook support to enforce the rules).
>
> And since Mercurial doesn't even allow us to say "this is a binary file"
>   the way CVS used to I'm currently not seeing any way for that to happen
> except for win32text to be updated to correctly handle wild cards in
> combination with negative filters.

I agree with your conclusion.  My ruminating on this over the last few
months leaves me thinking this would involve:

* my older 'accepted but then lost' hg patch to allow an explicit 'none'
rule for a single file to override wildcards.

* win32text be enhanced to use a normal versioned file in the root of
the repo, much like hgingore, where a project can maintain project wide
rules.

* win32text be enhanced such that all python developers, regardless of
platform, are willing to use this extension, even if the majority of
files happen to use their native line ending (sauce for the goose is
sauce for the gander, and all that...)

* commit hooks be implemented to enforce this - but this should not be
necessary if the above was implemented and socially enforced.

Cheers,

Mark