[Python-Dev] PEP 376 and PEP 302 - allowing import hooks to provide distribution metadata

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 15:04:12 CEST 2009

2009/7/3 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/3 Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com>:
>> Does this sound sensible? Tarek, would you be OK with me attempting to
>> modify your prototype to support this protocol? Are there any tests
>> for PEP 376, so that I can confirm I haven't completely broken
>> something? If I can, I'll knock up some simple prototype importers for
>> non-standard examples, and see how they work with all this.
>
> Yes that's exactly what I was thinking about after the discussion we
> had in the other thread. This change would allow much more flexibility.

One important note - I plan on using the fact that DistributionDirMap
is not public, and hacking it about drastically, or possibly even
removing it. (After all, the likes of the load method don't make sense
when you've got sys.meta_path, sys.path_importer_cache and the like to
consider).

If the loss of any of the "internal" classes is an issue, say so now!

Paul.