[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: progress report (PEP 385)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jul 6 16:51:47 CEST 2009

Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> more feedback, a progress report. I know it's long, I've tried to put
> to keep it concise and chunked, though.

Two things:

 * We need some form of documentation of how committers are expected
   to work with the hg repo. (This is also missing for the Subversion
   repo, which due to the 3.x branch has gotten somewhat unclear - at
   least for me)

   It is currently not clear where to check in patches, whether and
   where to backport or forward-patch, which branches to consider
   closed, etc.

   E.g. if I check in something in trunk/ (Python 2.7), do I have to
   forward patch this change to the 3.0 branch (guess not), the py3k/
   branch (Python 3.1), or will someone else take care of this, so that
   it's better not to interfere by doing it myself ?

 * Our tracker, checkin messages, online documentation and lots of
   Python resources on the web are full of references to the
   Subversion rXYZ notation of changesets.

   The PEP has to provide some way to gracefully provide a redirect
   from those URLs to the new ones (both for the source code browser
   and the bug search tool on python.org).

   The PEP will also have to address the same issue for checkin
   messages. Perhaps by converting the rXYZ notation to the hash
   based values during migration or by adding the has value after
   the rXYZ value in parens ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 06 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/