[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration: progress report (PEP 385)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 7 23:42:56 CEST 2009

>> I've seen a few discussions about this, but no final statement
>> of what strategy to follow and whether hg makes this easier (AFAIR,
>> that was the main argument for switching to hg).
>
> I think the main reason for switching was that it would make it easier
> for non-core-committers to maintain branches and submit patches (as
> changesets core committers can pull).

Indeed, it's all in PEP 374:
- motivation 1: give direct tool support to non-committers
- motivation 2: allow disconnected (off-line) access to the repository
- motivation 3: allow revisions of a patch
- motivation 4: allow tracking the mainline while working on a patch
- motivation 5: avoid using arcane third-party tools for merge tracking

So merge tracking was not the main argument, but the fifth.

Regards,
Martin