[Python-Dev] PEP 376 - Open questions

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Jul 8 14:24:34 CEST 2009

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have no answer here. But I think we need feedback from the people
> who will ultimately be building bdist_xxx formats - Debian packagers,
> people wrting alternate RPM builders, etc.

I think any bdist_xxx command which targets externally handled package formats
(rpm, deb, msi, etc.) shouldn't generate RECORD. If you install with rpm or
dpkg, you will uninstall with the same tool, won't you?

> Bottom line - Is RECORD to be created on the target machine at install
> time, or must it be relocatable?

This is quite an uninformed opinion, but a relocatable RECORD looks like a can
of worms to me.

As for creating RECORD at install time, I don't understand the argument about
duplicate code. Distutils can provide useful primitives for generating RECORD,
so that interested subcommands don't have a lot of additional work to do.