[Python-Dev] PEP 376 - Open questions

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jul 9 02:51:02 CEST 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:07:21 am Eric Smith wrote:
> But I think we've veered into metadata that describes what has been
> installed. I don't think that's so useful. As I've said, this is
> private to the installers. If 2 installers want to communicate with
> each other about what they've installed, then they can agree on that
> data. I just don't find it generally useful for all installers, and
> therefore not useful for distutils.

But doesn't this metadata give any two installers a common language to
use to communicate, instead of having every pair of installers create
their own private communication method?

Personally, I like to be able to look at a package and say "What did
that install?" Or contrary-wise, look at a file and say "What package
installed that?" There are few things worse than discovering a bunch of
mysterious executable files on your system that you don't remember
installing, and then spending a few paranoid hours trying to determine
whether you've stumbled across a root kit or virus or whether they have
a legitimate reason to be there.

--
Steven D'Aprano