[Python-Dev] PEP 376 - Open questions

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jul 9 05:40:53 CEST 2009

At 11:28 PM 7/8/2009 -0400, Eric Smith wrote:
>>Eventually, I'd like PEP 376 to support system packagers too. So
>>for example, if you did "apt-get install python-pyqt4", then
>>running "pip install python-pyqt4" should return without installing
>>anything .. as RECORD will be part of the .deb previously
>>installed. As for generating the RECORD file, I vote for generating
>>it during install time (w/ absolute paths).
>
>I think we should explicitly not support this. What if pip and
>apt-get (or rpm, or others) install the same package in different
>places because of system conventions (/usr vs. /usr/local vs. /opt,
>say)? There's no way we're ever going to get this right, and it's
>not worth complicating our lives over it.
>
>Seriously: Is there some real world use case I'm missing? Does any
>existing install system support this?

The use case described above is supported right now by easy_install
and pip; it doesn't require a RECORD file, though.  An .egg-info file
or an .egg-info directory with a PKG-INFO is enough to prevent
duplicate installation.

I don't know how pip handles file overwrites; easy_install OTOH never
overwrites anything that's not in an .egg or a .pth.