[Python-Dev] PEP 376 - Open questions

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 10:32:52 CEST 2009

2009/7/9 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Sridhar
> Ratnakumar<SridharR at activestate.com> wrote:
>> Other than easy_install/pip, there is also PyPM which is being developed at
>> ActiveState. PyPM is the Python package manager much like what ppm is for
>> ActivePerl.
>>

> Great ! besides the RECORD file, anything remark on the PEP from a
> PyPM point of view ?
> Once Paul has finished to work on the PEP 302 part of the prototype,
> maybe we could try it out
> on PyPM to see how it fits ?

Note: the "pkgutil2" implementation I pushed to Tarek's bitbucket
repository a day or so ago includes PEP 302 support (using a few new
finder methods, as proposed). It's ready to go now. It's as compliant
with the PEP as possible given the outstanding questions (I've
implemented some things on the basis of what I thought was consensus
here, even though the PEP has not changed yet to reflect that - using
"metadata" rather than "egginfo" in method names, and removing the
local= parameter from some of the methods, being the 2 I can recall
immediately).

I'd like to add a test case using a non-standard PEP 302 importer, but
that's a small detail.

There are bound to be holes in the implementation, especially around
the areas of the open questions that started this thread. I'd
appreciate feedback, but I'm not expecting to make code changes until
the PEP is changed - it's too much like trying to hit a moving target
at the moment!

Paul.

PS I've added distutils-sig back into the cc list. Please keep "PEP
376" in the subject of any subsequent threads on that list if you want
my input, as I don't follow all the traffic on there.