[Python-Dev] "Absolute" paths in PEP 376 RECORD files

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 21:53:13 CEST 2009

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> The question then would be whether relative paths should be handled
>> directly in the RECORD file (as in the current PEP) or by writing a "."
>> into PREFIXES to indicate relative paths.
>
> Per discussion with Matthias Klose, it would be useful to split out the
> following prefixes for "special" kinds of data:
>
> - docs
> - i18n / locales

There are probably all sorts of other useful distinctions which could be
made. However, that would be a topic for a different PEP - as Tarek
pointed out, improving distutils is such a huge can of worms that trying
to tackle all the issues in a single PEP would most likely just result
in developer burnout rather than improvement.

The basic PREFIXES discussion is at least somewhat relevant to PEP 376,
since the distutils uninstaller needs *some* way for the bdist_*
installers to tell it where the non-relative files ended up. Since we
need a mechanism for it, it might as well be one that should help with
the system package builders needs in the future.

Actually adding new categories, while I agree it would be useful, isn't
something that is needed to support uninstallation.

Cheers,
Nick.