[Python-Dev] Add an ExecutionLoader abc to importlib or to runpy?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Jul 15 12:27:58 CEST 2009

Brett Cannon <brett <at> python.org> writes:

> I implemented get_filename() as specified in PEP 302 for importlib's source
and bytecode loaders and I was starting to create the ABC for importlib.abc,
but then I realized that perhaps the loader should live in runpy instead of
importlib.

> Putting the new ABC in importlib keeps all PEP 302 ABCs in a single spot. But
this addition to the PEP 302 protocols is very specific to runpy and is not
directly required to make imports work (the implementation was just a
reshuffling of pre-existing code from one method to another). I am tempted to
leave the ABC out of importlib and stop at implementing get_filename() for
importlib.abc.PyLoader and PyPycLoader.

I am not sure when this discussion started. Are you replying to a 3 month-old
message of yours? :)

In any case, keeping all import-related ABCs in a single place sounds like a
good idea.
Alternatively, if the method is runpy specific, it doesn't have its place in an
ABC, does it?

Antoine.