[Python-Dev] Remove site-packages?!? [was: [Distutils] PEP 376 - from pythonpkgmgr's point of view]

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Thu Jul 23 01:08:26 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 5:22 PM, M.-A. Lemburg<mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Maybe I've misunderstood some important detail, but how will
> their "change" help with anything other than making their
> distribution a non-standard Python installation ?

I think I'm a little confused, too, because Python supports the
/usr|/usr/local separation just fine (setup.py install
--prefix=/usr/local).

It seems like it's also using "dist-packages" instead of
"site-packages".  That part, I don't understand at all--distribution
packages should go in /usr/lib/pythonx.y/site-packages, and "site"
packages go in /usr/local/pythonx.y/site-packages; /usr/local *itself*
means "non-distribution site-installed stuff".  If that's what you're
referring to, then at least on first impression I agree.

--
Glenn Maynard