[Python-Dev] mingw32 and gc-header weirdness

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 02:17:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Antoine Pitrou<solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> The size of long double is also 12 under 32-bit Linux. Perhaps mingw disagrees
> with Visual Studio

Yes, mingw and VS do not have the same long double type. This has been
the source of some problems in numpy as well, since mingw uses the MS
runtime, and everything involving long double and the runtime is
broken (printf, math library calls). I wish there was a way to disable
this in mingw, but there isn't AFAIK.

> on some ABI subtleties (is it expected? is mingw supposed to
> be ABI-compatible with Visual Studio? if yes, you may report a bug to them :-)).

I think mostly ABI compatible is the best description :)

David