[Python-Dev] Replacing PyWin32's PeekNamedPipe, ReadFile, and WriteFile

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Thu Jul 23 13:45:31 CEST 2009

Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
> Eric seems to be working on a GSoC for PFS related to improving
> subprocess. Even in such case this list is not the right place to make
> these posts??

Eric didn't say that he is working on a GSoC project for the PSF. Anyway
the Python general mailing list might still be a better place. IMHO he
can reach many more competent Python developers there who can help him
with this particular problem.

By the way I don't think that ctypes is the right way to go here. ctypes
is very handy if you need a quick solution. However I wouldn't use it as
a permanent solution for the subprocess module. It's tricky to get
ctypes based solutions right on multiple platforms (32 vs 64bit). It's
harder to debug a ctypes solutions rather than a C extension, too. I
assume that calling overhead is greater than a pure C extension. Can
ctypes release the GIL for a function call?

Christian