[Python-Dev] Document None values in sys.modules?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jul 24 05:35:46 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 20:18, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> So, I guess, we'll live with it for a while longer. Given that it
> managed to evade our attention for so long, I think that's fine.

Can someone double-check me that the semantics can even be triggered in 3.1?
I just tried and couldn't come up with anything. Heck, I quick search for a
Py_None comparison in 3.1's import.c turned up nothing useful (other than
mark_miss() is the function used to set None in sys.modules). We might have
actually already removed it or made it so that the semantics can't be
triggered.

> I agree that there's no reason for a None result from loaders to be
> interpreted the same way, assuming that's not how it works ATM.
>
> And we can live with import and importlib differing on this in 3.1
> (though you could call it a bug in importlib and fix it for 3.1.1 --
> not sure if you were planning on that).

I can if people can trigger the semantics somehow so I have a test to go by.

-Brett