[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jul 24 23:05:42 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:47, Sridhar Ratnakumar
<sridharr at activestate.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 06:11:38 -0700, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Then why not include pip, easy_install, and this bash script I use to
>> install packages into core? The more the merrier, right?
>> Answer: None of these are standards, and as nick points out, there's
>> issues with sysadmins, security, and other things. Not to mention
>> they're fundamentally not part of the language.
>> At the language summit, this was hashed out quite a bit. I think most
>> everyone agreed that tools like easy_install, pip, virtualenv,
>> zc.buildout, etc simply do not belong in core python.
>>

> Once PEP 376 is implemented, my suggestion is to at least link to these
> tools (if not write a paragraph) as way of pointing users to alternative
> package managers that uses the 'uninstall' API. A mention of PyPI would also
> be helpful.

You can put that in the wiki, but it does not belong in the core
documentation (except the PyPI mention as we do control that). That simply
becomes a maintenance nightmare for use as we then have to keep up with the
releases of external tools that we have no direct connection with. Plus it
also give the illusion that Python has blessed these tools when in fact we
have not.

-Brett