[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Sat Jul 25 02:09:28 CEST 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:08:32 +0100, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I read this as meaning that David was proposing to ship a built
> application (on Windows, bundled up with something like py2exe, I
> guess) and any supporting DLLs such as the wxWindows ones would be
> bundled in, but the wxPython package would *not* be shipped as part of
> the standard library.

That's correct.

> In my view, for an "application" to be shipped with Python, whether it
> be Idle, or a package manager, or pydoc, or whatever, it must:
> - be written as a Python script
> - depend only on packages shipped with the standard library

This is true for the Package Manager in executable form.

> Given that David's package manager uses setuptools to do the installs
> (and now it appears it uses wxPython for its GUI) that immediately
> disqualifies it for inclusion in my view - regardless of its value as
> a package.

Yes, It offers the choice to install via setuptools.

As well as PIP.

And it will be extended to Enstaller.

Presently it used pkg_resources to read the list of packages installed
which is part of setuptools. I was told it was the "right" and only way
to read a list of packages. If using this package presents a problem, then
it can be removed and I will replace the functionality with my own code.

If the gui needs to be rewritten in TK this can be accomplished.

I'm in no way pushing any GUI toolkit, and this was the one suggested to
me by many. Redoing to meet the above criteria is achievable.

If there's any other objections, can they be raised now before I
start a rewrite? Thank you.

David