[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Jul 25 02:40:52 CEST 2009

david.lyon at preisshare.net writes:

> Distutils was once seperate and was then included in the standard
> python.
>
> So i guess that I am working with the same goal in mind.

I interpret this as expressing your intent to (eventually) have your
application included in standard Python.

David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> writes:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 03:23:57 +0200, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de>
> wrote:
> > I'm sorry to inform you that a wxWindows based solution has zero
> > change to get into the Python standard library ever.
>
> I wasn't suggesting including it in the standard library as I like
> others know how troublesome it can be.

This appears to contradict what you said above.

> > We are not going to add another GUI toolkit to the core
> > distribution. We might even remove TK from the core and ship it as a
> > separate package like bsddb3.
>
> So is this a bias against native window applications?

No, it's a bias against adding things to Python that depend on things
not already in Python.

Are you, or are you not, intending for your application to be in
standard Python?

If that is your intent, I think Christian's answer is valid:
applications, especially ones that depend on third-party widget
libraries, shouldn't get added to Python.

If that is not your intent, then your application shouldn't be mentioned
in standard Python documentation.

--
 \                “Stop — Drive sideways.” —detour sign, Kyushu, Japan |
Ben Finney