[Python-Dev] Update to Python Documentation Website Request

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Jul 27 12:20:30 CEST 2009

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:23:59 +0100, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> It would be great to have  a decent visual package manager for Python.

Hopefully one day we'll have one - haha

> It needs to be built on top of the work that Tarek is doing with
> distutils (and be compatible with his Distribute fork of setuptools) and
> it also needs to be established.

I'm planning to support it - like I do for setuptools and pip

> The good news is that there is time for both... Aren't there other tools
> that have similar goals? PyPI browser, Yolk etc

The fact is that there's way more glamorous things to work on
than a package manager. Nobody has written a package manager for
python imho simply because there's so many more fun things to
do with python than that...

> It is a shame that it needs to be built on Tk if it is to stand a chance
> of ever being included in the standard library - but with the right
> expertise it is *possible* to create decent looking UIs with Tk.

I'm working on a TK version.. yes.. a TK version is better than nothing
and the differences between a TK and a WX version is really only pretty
minor. To me, wx is ancient... and tk is simply prehistoric.

mr.new-to-python developer wouldn't really cares too much either I
would suspect. All they want is to be up and running quickly.

My only point is that Windows ain't no embedded system. It's not
short on memory or disk space. If a package manager is 5 megabytes
extra say, with it's libraries.. what's the extra download time on
that ? compared to three days+ stuffing around trying to find out
how to install packages for a new user.

If the source needs to go in too.. that's a few kilobytes.

That's like 57 extra bytes to an old-timer... I know.. it's
such a sacrifice.. and we're all working on 300 baud... :-)

David