[Python-Dev] License for code extracted from a Python library?

Rocky Bernstein rocky at gnu.org
Tue Jul 28 14:10:45 CEST 2009

Hi -

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I don't know of a
more appropriate place.

Sometime around 2007 I first extracted a function that was in Python's Cmd
class and used that. Since then, I have modified and generalized it a bit
more and turned it into a Python egg called
columnize<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/columnize>.
I also ported it to Ruby and made Ruby package or gem. A couple of
people/companies have asked about redistributing this and have asked for a
more MIT-like and less GPL-like license. I guess they will bundle this with
their proprietary code.

For the Python package, I used PSL Version 2, but is this legitimate?
code.google.com doesn't seem to recognize in their list of licenses so that
suggests what I did might not be the right thing. (So instead,
code.google.com I selected the MIT License.)

Can a MIT License be used for code extracted from Python's standard library?
Other comments or suggestions?

Thanks.