[Python-Dev] PEP 372 -- Adding an ordered directory to collections ready for pronouncement

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Wed Mar 4 07:23:33 CET 2009

On approximately 3/3/2009 4:51 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Greg Ewing:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> I almost agree, except that the API uses the dict, not list, API.
>
> Yes, as long as the API is dict-like, it really needs to
> be thought of as a kind of dict.
>
> Perhaps the terminology should be
>
>   ordereddict -- what we have here
>
>   sorteddict -- hypothetical future type that keeps
>                 itself sorted in key order

FIFOdict ?  Yeah, that blows the capitalization scheme, way, way out.

The problem with the ordereddict/OrderedDict/odict is that there are way
too many possible orderings, and without being more specific
(InsertionSequenceOrderPreservingDictionary) people are doing to think
"sort" when they hear "ordered".

I think FIFOdict is a reasonable abbreviation for
InsertionSequenceOrderPreservingDictionary :)

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/