[Python-Dev] PEP 372 -- Adding an ordered directory to collections ready for pronouncement

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 11:09:03 CET 2009

Hello all,

First a comment on-thread:
  I can't wait to get an ordered dictionary in the stdlib! The discussion
regarding suggestions for the name appears to be ongoing. What about the
name 'orderdict' instead of 'ordereddict'?. It doesn't contain the double-d,
is slightly shorter, and I think a little more typo-friendly. Just my 2c,
please feel free to ignore. OrderDict would of course be the
alternative-casing version.

Secondly, regarding this list:
  I couldn't find a lot of documentation regarding list culture, so I'm
quite nervous about the potential for stepping in where I'm not welcome
before I have spent a lot of time 'spinning up' on this issues of this list.
I am interested in learning more about how Python is written and, if I can,
providing some assistance to that task. However it's going to be a long,
slow process for me. At the same time, I do have firsthand knowledge of how
hard it can be to get people to contribute to anything to any degree, and as
such don't want to be a part of the problem by being too tentative in
introducing myself.

I would appreciate any pointers regarding what is appreciated on this list
and what is not. Hopefully, over time I will be able to make some form of
useful, concrete code contributions in the form of patches or documentation,
but I do realise it will take a lot of hands-on learning first. Trying to
grok the discussions on this list seems like a big part of that.

Thanks,
-Tennessee