[Python-Dev] running the tests...

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Mar 5 10:58:17 CET 2009

Chris Withers schrieb:
> Hi All,
>
> I found the very brief snippet on test-running at:
>
> http://python.org/dev/faq/#how-to-test-a-patch
>
> ....so thought I'd ask here:
>
> - what's the canonical way to run "all the tests"?

Assuming UNIXy OSes: make test, or if you want to save a bit of time,
make quicktest.

> - what's the canonical way to run the tests for just the package being
> patched? (I'm assuming it's a standard library package here...)

In 90% of all cases, the test suite is called like the module, so

   ./python Lib/test/regrtest.py test_foo

where foo is the module name should do it.  In the other 10%, you'll have
to look around a bit for the tests.  But since patching should always
include adding a test, it's necessary anyway ;)

cheers,
Georg