[Python-Dev] asyncore fixes in Python 2.6 broke Zope's version of medusa

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Thu Mar 5 20:30:52 CET 2009

Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, asyncore/asynchat is all "undocumented
> internals".  Any use of asyncore in anger will use internals;
> there never was any well-understood API to these modules.

What I would like to see is a module that provides a low-level API
for doing cross-platform asynchronous IO.  The two necessary parts
are:

    * a wrapper that allows non-blocking reads and writes on
      channels (sockets, file descriptors, serial ports, etc)

    * a select() or epoll like interface that allows waiting on
      multiple channels

The implementation requires some intricate and platform specific
code which is why it would be nice to be a standard library feature.

I'm sure that Twisted has the necessary parts but the problem, IMHO,
is that it does so much more else.

  Neil